[Notification Date: 26-03-2014, Effective from : 01.04.2014 except sub-section (4) to (6)]
Section 62- Further issue of share capital. [Corresponds to Section 81, 94A of the Companies Act,1956];[Relevant Rule: 12, 13 of The Companies (Share Capital and Debentures) Rules, 2014]
(1) Where at any time, a company having a share capital proposes to increase its subscribed capital by the issue of further shares, such shares shall be offered—
(a) to persons who, at the date of the offer, are holders of equity shares of the company in proportion, as nearly as circumstances admit, to the paid-up share capital on those shares by sending a letter of offer subject to the following conditions, namely:—
(i) the offer shall be made by notice specifying the number of shares offered and limiting a time not being less than fifteen days and not exceeding thirty days from the date of the offer within which the offer, if not accepted, shall be deemed to have been declined;
[In case of private companies, following proviso has been inserted vide Notification F No 1/1/2014- CL.V dated 05.06.2015.
Provided that notwithstanding anything contained in this sub-clause and sub-section (2) of this section, in case ninety percent, of the members of a private company have given their consent in writing or in electronic mode, the periods lesser than those specified in the said sub-clause or sub-section shall apply.
(ii) unless the articles of the company otherwise provide, the offer aforesaid shall be deemed to include a right exercisable by the person concerned to renounce the shares offered to him or any of them in favour of any other person; and the notice referred to in clause (i) shall contain a statement of this right;
(iii) after the expiry of the time specified in the notice aforesaid, or on receipt of earlier intimation from the person to whom such notice is given that he declines to accept the shares offered, the Board of Directors may dispose of them in such manner which is not dis-advantageous to the shareholders and the company;
Provided that notwithstanding anything contained in sub-clause (i), in case of a Specified IFSC public company, the periods lesser than those specified in the said sub-clause shall apply if ninety per cent. of the members have given their consent in writing or in electronic mode.[ proviso to clause (a) inserted vide Notification G.S.R. 08(E) dated 04.01.2017]
(b) to employees under a scheme of employees’ stock option, subject to special resolution passed by company and subject to such conditions as may be prescribed or; - [Rule 12] [the word "special resolution" has been replaced with the word " ordinary resolution" vide Notification G.S.R. 08(E) dated 04.01.2017]
[In clause (b) of section 62(1), for the words "special resolution" , the words "ordinary resolution" has been substituted for private companies vide Notification F No 1/ 1/2014-CL.V dated 05.06.2015.
[In clause (b) of section 62(1), the word "special resolution" has been replaced with the word " ordinary resolution" vide Notification G.S.R. 08(E) dated 04.01.2017 for the unlisted public company which is licensed to operate by the Reserve Bank of India or the Securities and Exchange Board of India or the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India from the International Financial Services Centre located in an approved multi services Special Economic Zone set-up under the Special Economic Zones Act, 2005 (28 of 2005) read with the Special Economic Zones Rules, 2006 .
(c) to any persons. if it is authorised by a special resolution, whether or not those persons include the persons referred to in clause (a) or clause (b), either for cash or for a consideration other than cash, if the price of such shares is determined by the valuation report of a registered valuer subject to such conditions as may be prescribed - [Rule 13].
(2) The notice referred to in sub-clause (i) of clause (a) of sub-section (1) shall be despatched through registered post or speed post or through electronic mode to all the existing shareholders at least three days before the opening of the issue.
(3) Nothing in this section shall apply to the increase of the subscribed capital of a company caused by the exercise of an option as a term attached to the debentures issued or loan raised by the company to convert such debentures or loans into shares in the company:
Provided that the terms of issue of such debentures or loan containing such an option have been approved before the issue of such debentures or the raising of loan by a special resolution passed by the company in general meeting.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (3), where any debentures have been issued, or loan has been obtained from any Government by a company, and if that Government considers it necessary in the public interest so to do, it may, by order, direct that such debentures or loans or any part thereof shall be converted into shares in the company on such terms and conditions as appear to the Government to be reasonable in the circumstances of the case even if terms of the issue of such debentures or the raising of such loans do not include a term for providing for an option for such conversion:
Provided that where the terms and conditions of such conversion are not acceptable to the company, it may, within sixty days from the date of communication of such order, appeal to the Tribunal which shall after hearing the company and the Government pass such order as it deems fit.[ sub-section(4) yet to be notified]
(5) In determining the terms and conditions of conversion under sub-section (4), the Government shall have due regard to the financial position of the company, the terms of issue of debentures or loans, as the case may be, the rate of interest payable on such debentures or loans and such other matters as it may consider necessary. [sub-section(5) yet to be notified]
(6) Where the Government has, by an order made under sub-section (4), directed that any debenture or loan or any part thereof shall be converted into shares in a company and where no appeal has been preferred to the Tribunal under sub-section (4) or where such appeal has been dismissed, the memorandum of such company shall, where such order has the effect of increasing the authorised share capital of the company, stand altered and the authorised share capital of such company shall stand increased by an amount equal to the amount of the value of shares which such debentures or loans or part thereof has been converted into.[sub-section(6) yet to be notified]
Section 62 shall not apply to a Nidhi company- Notification F.No. 2/11/2014-CL.V dated 05.06.2015.