Section 395 Power and duty to acquire shares of shareholders dissenting from scheme or contract approved by majority.
(1) Where a scheme or contract involving the transfer of shares or any class of shares in a company (in this section referred to as "the transferor company") to another company (in this section referred to as "the transferee company"), has, within four months after the making of the offer in that behalf by the transferee company, been approved by the holders of not less than nine- tenths in value of the shares whose transfer is involved (other than shares already held at the date of the offer by, or by a nominee for, the transferee company or its subsidiary),the transferee company may, at any time within two months after the expiry of the said four months, give notice in the prescribed manner to any dissenting shareholder, that it desires to acquire his shares; and when such a notice is given, the transferee company shall, unless, on an application made by the dissenting shareholder within one month from the date on which the notice was given the Tribunal thinks fit to order otherwise, be entitled and bound to acquire those shares on the terms on which, under the scheme or contract, the shares of the approving shareholders are to be transferred to the transferee company:
Provided that where shares in the transferor company of the same class as the shares whose transfer is involved are already held as aforesaid to a value greater than one-tenth of the aggregate of the values of all the shares in the company of such class, the foregoing provisions of this sub-section shall not apply, unless -
(a) the transferee company offers the same terms to all holders of the shares of that class (other than those already held as aforesaid) whose transfer is involved; and
(b) the holders who approve the scheme or contract besides holding not less than nine -tenths in value of the shares(other than those already hold as aforesaid) whose transfer is involved, are not less than three-fourths in number of the holders of those shares.
(2) Where ,in pursuance of any such scheme or contract as aforesaid ,shares, or shares or any class, in a company are transferred to another company or its nominee, and those shares together with any other shares or any other shares of the same class, as the case may be, in the first-mentioned company held at the date of the transfer by, or by a nominee for, the transferee company or its subsidiary comprise nine-tenths in value of the shares, or the shares or that class, as the case may be, in the first-mentioned company, then
(a) the transferee company shall, within one month from the date of the transfer (unless on a previous transfer in pursuance of the scheme or contract it has already complied with this requirement ), give notice of that fact in the prescribed manner to the holders of the remaining shares or of the remaining shares of that class, as the case may be, who have not assented to the scheme or contract; and
(b) any such holder may, within three moths form the giving of the notice to him, require the transferee company to acquire the shares in question;
and where a shareholder gives notice under clause (b) with respect to any shares, the transferee company shall be entitled and bound to acquire those shares on the terms on which, under the scheme or contact, the shares of the approving shareholders were transferred to it, or on such other terms as may be agreed, or as the Tribunal on the application of either the transferee company or the shareholder thinks fit to order.
(3) Where a notice has been given by the transferee company under sub-section (1) and the Tribunal has not, on an application made by the dissenting shareholder, made an order to the contrary, the transferee company shall, on the expiry on of one month form the date on which the notice has been given, or, if an application to the Tribunal by the dissenting share holders is then pending, after that as application has been disposed of, transmit a copy of the notice to the transferor company together with an instrument of transfer executed on behalf of the shareholder by any person appointed by the transferee company and on its own behalf by the transferee company, and pay or transferor to the transferor company the amount or other consideration representing the price payable by the transferee company for the shares, which by virtue of this section, that company is entitled to acquire, and the transferor company shall, -
(a) thereupon register the transferee company as the holder of those shares, and
(b) within one month of the date of such registration, inform the dissenting shareholders of the fact of such registration and of the receipt of the amount or other consideration representing the price payable to them by the transferee company:
Provided that an instrument of transfer shall not be required for any share for which a share warrant is for the time being outstanding.
(4) Any sums received by the transferor company under this section shall be paid into a separate bank account, and any such sums and any other consideration so received shall be held by that company in trust for the several persons entitled to the shares in respect of which the said sums or other consideration were respectively received.
(4A)(a) The following provisions shall apply in relation to every offer of a scheme or contract involving the transfer of shares or any class of shares in the transferor company to the transferee company, namely :-
(i) every such offer or every circular containing such offer or every recommendation to the members of the transferor company by its directors to accept such offer shall be accompanied by such information as may be prescribed;
(ii) every such offer shall contain a statement by or on behalf of the transferee company, disclosing the steps it has taken to ensure that necessary cash will be available;
(iii) every circular containing, or recommending acceptance of, such offer shall be presented to the Registrar for registration and no such circular shall be issued until it is so registered;
(iv) the Registrar may refuse to register any such circular which does not contain the information required to be given under sub-clause(1) or which sets out such information in a manner likely to give a false impression; and
(v) an appeal shall lie to the Tribunal against an order of the Registrar refusing to register any such circular.
(b) Whoever issues a circular referred to in sub-clause( iii) of clause (a), which has not been registered, shall be punishable with fine which may extend to five thousand rupees.
(5) In this section: -
(a) "dissenting shareholder" includes a shareholder who has not assented to the scheme or contract and any shareholder who has failed or refused to transfer his shares to the transferee company in accordance with the scheme or contract;
(b) "transferor company" and "transferee company" shall have the same meaning as in section 394.
(6) In relation to an offer made by the transferee company to shareholders of the transferror company before the commencement of this Act, this section shall have effect-
(a) with the substitution, in sub-section(1) ,for the words "the shares whose transfer is involved (other than shares already held at the date of the offer by, or by a nominee for, the transferee company or its subsidiary); of the words "the shares affected" and with the omission of the proviso to that sub-section;
(b) with the omission of sub-section (2);
(c) with the omission in sub-section (3) of the words "together with an instrument of transfer executed on behalf of the shareholder by any person appointed by the transferee company and on its own behalf by the transferee company" and of the proviso to that sub-section; and
(d) with the omission of clause (b) of sub-section (5).