Section 292 Certain powers to be exercised by Board only at meeting.
(1) The Board of directors of a company shall exercise the following powers on behalf of the company, and it shall do so only by means of resolution passed at meetings of the Board:-
(a) the power to make calls on share holders in respect of money unpaid on their shares.
(aa) the power to authorise the buy-back referred to in the first proviso to clause (b) of sub-section (2) of section 77A
(b) The power to issue debentures.
(c) The power to borrow moneys otherwise than on debentures;
(d) The power to invest the funds of the company; and
(e) The power to make loans;
Provided that the Board may, by a resolution passed at a meeting, delegate to any committee of directors, the managing director, the manager or any principal officer of the company or in the case of a branch office of the company, a principal officer of the branch office, the powers specified in clauses (c), (d) and (e) to the extent specified in sub-sections (2), (3) and (4) respectively, on such conditions as the Board may prescribe:
Provided further that the acceptance by a banking company in the ordinary course of its business of deposits of money from the public repayable on demand or otherwise and withdrawable by cheque, draft, order or otherwise, or the placing of moneys on deposit by a banking company with another banking company on such conditions as the Board may prescribe, shall not be deemed to be a borrowing of moneys or, as the case may be, a making of loans by a banking company within the meaning of this section,
Explanation I: Nothing in clause (c) of sub-section (1) shall apply to borrowings by a banking company from other banking companies or from the Reserve Bank of India, the State Bank of India or any other banks established by or under any Act.
Explanation II: In respect of dealings between a company and its bankers, the exercise by the company of the power specified in clause (c) of sub-section (1) shall mean the arrangement made by the company with its bankers for the borrowing of money by way of overdraft or cash credit or otherwise and not the actual day to day operation on overdraft, cash credit or other accounts by means of which the arrangement so made is actually availed of
(2) Every resolution delegating the power referred to in clause (c) of sub-section (1) shall specify the total amount outstanding at any one time up to which moneys may be borrowed by the delegate
(3) Every resolution delegating the power referred to in clause (d) of sub-section (1) shall specify the total amount up to which the funds may be invested, and the nature of the investments which may be made, by the delegate.
(4) Every resolution delegating the power referred to in clause (e) of sub-section (1) shall specify the total amount up to which loans may be made by the delegate, the purposes for which the loans may be made, and the maximum amount of loans which may be made for each such purpose in individual cases.
(5) Nothing in this section shall be deemed to affect the right of the company in general meeting to impose restrictions and conditions on the exercise by the Board of any of the powers specified in sub-section (1).